Popular Posts

Followers

About

Blogger news

Blogroll

Blogger templates

Wednesday, November 23, 2011
I am just slightly more than halfway through my trip.  The same can be said for the homework I have to do on this trip.  Sadly, I've been putting this blog off the way I normally put off homework.

Olivia joined our troupe today via plane from Buenos Aires.  The airport there is apparently a mess.  His flight was only delayed one day, but we met a guy yesterday who had been stuck in the airport for four days.  I think the whole country must be on strike...  So far there has been bankers, airline employees, nurses (solidarity, brothers!), and a protest over privatization of the docks by the workers there.  Workers of the world, unite!

Today we took a boat trip through the Beagle Channel where we saw more sea lions and the lighthouse at the end of the world.  We were able to hike on one of the islands where I partook of the fruit of calafate bush.  It is said that if you eat its berries, you will return to Patagonia.  I ate several, just for good measure.





















I was disappointed by the national park here...  While very beautiful, I saw remarkably little wildlife.  Several decades ago, beavers were introduced here in hopes of using their valuable pelts.  However, their hair becomes too hard in this cold environment.  Having no natural predator here, the population has grown out of control and the resulting deforestation has made parts of the park look like Tunguska circa 1908.

Rumor has it there are mountains here, but I'm too tired to go through any more photos.  Below is a shot of the view from our hostel's lounge, and a wonderful sunset shot from the airport yesterday.


0 comments: